County Police say they are investigating after players of the newly popular ‘Pokemon Go’ cell phone based game were robbed.
Officials say that just after midnight on July 7th, several people were playing Pokemon Go on their cell phones within a home. The game directed the players outside to a spot on Jasper Lane near an entrance to Belmont Park.
Once they arrived, two suspects reportedly approached them and demanded their property. At least 1 of the suspects displayed a handgun before they fled with the victims’ cell phones & money. No injuries were reported.
Police continue to investigate, it has not been confirmed whether they were targeted because they were playing the game.
Baltimore County Police have provided us with the following tips for staying safe while playing Pokemon Go or similar games.
- Do not go anywhere alone. Always take a friend.
- Do not go to any secluded area.
- Stay in well-lit areas at night.
- If you follow the game to an area that makes you uncomfortable, don’t continue.
- Don’t play the game while driving.
- Be aware of your surroundings while playing the game.
- Playing the game does not grant the participant the right to enter onto private property. Participants should obtain the permission of the property owner before entering onto private property.
- Report any suspicious persons, vehicles, or activity to police immediately.